NY, Want to learn about Hurst Envelopes, excited to have found this!

Hi,

I live in USA, NY, near Buffalo

I am a website programmer trying to become a software developer and earn a great living off of trading.

After having missed the whole Internet stock bubble while working for a sham of an internet website developers business, I started trading penny stocks through INGDirect, mostly because I didn’t have much capital to invest with. I really had no idea what I was doing. But it wasn’t much risk, so I didn’t care.

In 2008, when things crashed again, I just nonchalantly said “during this depression, people will buy alcohol”, so I looked for a stock in that industry. I found a cheap stock CEDC, and bought 100 shares for $1 each. I soon forgot about the investment. A few months later, I recalled it, looked in my account, and I had a virtual profit of $700 !

I was hooked, and started visiting the yahoo message boards. I proudly boasted about my amazing trading ability. Some random stranger commented that CEDC had a heavy concentration of institutional investors, and if they decided to sell the stock, the price would fall fast. Well that scared me, so I sold my shares and captured the profits. Feeling good, I made another trade…

I invested $1,300 in a biotech company CVM, based on a hot tip from another random stranger on the yahoo boards, and today that investment is worth a whopping $4 ! LOL. I still hold it as a painful lesson to never all-out trust investing advice from strangers or even friends.

In a quest to make bigger profits, I got into options trading, made some big money fast, and thought “I’m Gonna Be Rich!”

I soon lost it all, as the QE money printing made stocks go insanely high, and my strategy of buying puts on the overbought stocks didn’t work anymore, and I lost most of my capital.

But I still have the obsession with trading, because I see the potential, and I have spent the last 4 years trying to learn everything.

Frustratingly, I have learned that most techniques and indicator studies, (RSI, MACD, etc) are worthless, and lately I have been focusing on concepts like Wycoff methods, price, volume, support resistance testing, before big moves, etc.

BUT THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING MISSING, AND ALWAYS SOMETHING NEW TO LEARN!

Somewhere I read about the concept of Hurst cycles, and I found David’ ST videos on YouTube and started the deep dive just a few days ago.

I read the entire thread by Alain about Hurst Envelopes and his Gann octaves, and found it very exciting, so I joined this forum to learn more.

I stayed up until 2 am trying to recreate the envelopes in TradingView, that is what happens when I get hyper-focused on something that interests me.

I hope to contribute to the forum to help clarify and explain concepts in a way that becomes easier for newbies to understand. I seem to have a bit of an obsession with needing to deeply understand concepts, so I often go on reading binges until I understand as much as I can. Along the way, I usually find that I don’t like the way the original author has explained things, and I feel I can come up with better explanations. So I like to help improve things.

Thanks for creating this forum and sharing your knowledge! I am excited to interact with others.

Welcome balltrader.

Get yourself a copy of ‘Profit Magic for Stock Transation Timing’, Chris Grafton’s ‘Mastering Hurst Cycle Analysis’ and download the cyclitec course on here. Read all those and you will be well set to begin your journey with Hurst Cycles.

Dave

Hi David_F,

Thank you. I ordered the Grafton book from my local library thru an inter-library loan for $2, after finding a preview of the book on google books and being excited to learn it has appendixes that give software code examples of envelopes and timing structures.

i found a pdf copy of hurst cyclitec from a different website than the archives.org link, but the pdf website had so many attempts to trick me into trying to download garbage that i don’t want to share the updated link. maybe i will create a dropbox account or gogole drive account and put it there for others to easily download.

interesting to read the cyclitec book and it says “Stop your tape now”, there must have been an accompaning cassette tape recording, or perhaps it was reel-to-reel back then, lol

i found your website & you on twitter, I will read up on those too. thanks for sharing them.

i get easily distracted, so I have not had much success with finishing large books i start reading, so i am grateful for the bite-size educational white papers and videos that are shared on this website.

i found a youtube recording by David H that described how he trades using the hurst cycles and FLD projections and VTL touches and crosses, and

FOR THE FIRST TIME I REALIZED I DON’T NEED TO BE ABLE TO GET IN RIGHT AT THE TOP OR THE BOTTOM, AS LONG AS I CAN DETECT THE CURRENT TREND DIRECTION AND ENTER AT A REASONABLE LOCATION WHERE I WONT SUFFER A PARALYZING DRAW DOWN, I CAN PROFIT IN TRADING!

very exciting!

Good stuff, I tend to post on twitter now rather than the site as I find it much more convenient. Great to have another follower!

you won’t really see me listed as a follower, because i use tweet deck, adn i can create “lists” of accounts to watch, but I am against the concept of followers, because it just affects ego, and ego is dangerous in trading. I see ego abused all the time on twitter. It is a fascinating study of human psychology, which I learned after failing at trading the first time.

Fair enough, well nice to have a stealthy follower too. :smiley:

No more of your great phasings and charts on the forum? :frowning:️ As an avowed social media Luddite (except for funny animal videos on FB), I better get a Twitter handle pronto!

Oh I will still post on here Curt as I value the knowledge of fellow Hurstonians but twitter is much more immediate. I love to use it to look back at previous forecasts…